On this week’s podcast, we reflect on what messages can be drawn from the surprising outcome of last week’s elections. Is it all about bins not Brexit, or are there more complex layers to these elections? We contemplate the increased Lib Dem and Independent vote, and speak to Cllr Steve Bridger, who was elected on Thursday as an Independent councillor for North Somerset Council. We also run through our latest briefings, including key resources for new councillors, and discuss the environmental crisis that local government is facing.
Plus our regular roundup of Daily News including the Brent Bee Corridor and care homes.
Cllr Steve Bridger, first-time councillor for North Somerset Council, on why he stood for election and the local issues affecting the authority. [18:53]
- Listen on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/lgiu-fortnightly
- Subscribe via iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/lgiu-fortnightly/id1348770998
- Search “LGiU Fortnightly” in your podcast app
Links mentioned in the podcast:
- Guide: Ones to watch 2019: local elections
- Project: LE2019 coverage
- Briefing: Local Elections 2019: the results
- LGiU & Cllr Achievement Awards – 2019 page coming soon
- Briefing: New Councillors: advice and support
- Briefing: Adaptation actions in cities: what works?
Email email@example.com with stories you’d like to feature in the podcast.
LGiU Fortnightly is LGiU’s in-house podcast, bringing you the latest news from the world of local government. We update you on the key events from the past fortnight, as well as news from us and our members, so you’re always in the loop. We’re always looking for more ways to bring you the information you need in a way that works around your busy schedule – let us know what you think by tweeting us @LGiU.