Cllr Achievement Awards 2019
LGiU and CCLA’s Cllr Achievement Awards are the only awards celebrating the important work of councillors and the highlight of the year for elected members across England!
About the Awards
The awards took place on Tuesday, 5th November at the Royal Horseguards Hotel in Westminster.
Cllr Award Winners 2019
We’re proud to unveil the winners of the 10th annual LGiU & CCLA Cllr Achievement Awards! Congratulations to all those councillors shortlisted!
- Cllr Raushan Ara – Thanet District Council- WINNER!
- Cllr Lilian Dodd – Stoke-on-Trent City Council
- Cllr Mimi Harker OBE – Chiltern District Council
- Cllr Samata Khatoon – London Borough of Camden
- Cllr James Mustoe – Cornwall Council
- Cllr Jacky Smith – South Kesteven District Council- Special mention
Finance and Economic Development
- Cllr Mike Appleyard – Buckinghamshire County Council
- Cllr Mete Coban – London Borough of Hackney- WINNER!
- Cllr Kaya Comer-Schwartz – London Borough of Islington
- Cllr Kelham Cooke – South Kesteven District Council
- Cllr Keith Onslow – London Borough of Bromley
Innovation and Service Transformation
- Cllr Shrobona Bhattacharya – South Cambridgeshire District Council
- Cllr Janet Gardner – London Borough of Hillingdon- WINNER!
- Cllr James Halden – Thurrock Council
- Cllr Chris Penberthy – Plymouth City Council- Special mention
- Cllr Rob Rotchell – Cornwall Council
- Cllr Manju Shahul-Hameed – London Borough of Croydon
Leader of the Year
- Cllr Nesil Caliskan – London Borough of Enfield
- Cllr Susan Hinchcliffe – Bradford Metropolitan District Council
- Cllr Barry Lewis – Derbyshire County Council
- Cllr Darren Rodwell – London Borough of Barking and Dagenham- WINNER!
- Cllr Vikki Slade – Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole Council
- Cllr Martin Tett – Buckinghamshire County Council
Environment and Sustainability Pioneer
- Cllr Carla Denyer – Bristol City Council- Special mention
- Cllr Brenda Burgess – Crawley Borough Council
- Cllr Clyde Loakes – London Borough of Waltham Forest
- Cllr Sally Longford – Nottingham City Council- WINNER!
- Cllr Simon Pickering – Stroud District Council
- Cllr Sandra Squire – Norfolk County Council
- Cllr Philip Broadbank – Harrogate Borough Council
- Cllr Noel Brown – Buckinghamshire County Council
- Cllr Helen Holland – Bristol City Council
- Cllr Mohammed Khan OBE – Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council
- Cllr Lord Peter Smith – Wigan Metropolitan Borough Council- WINNER!
- Cllr Colin Spence – Suffolk County Council- Special mention
Young Councillor of the Year
- Cllr David Beaney – Dover District Council- WINNER!
- Cllr Mariam Dawood – London Borough of Newham – Special mention
- Cllr Harry Doyle – Liverpool City Council
- Cllr Beverley Momenabadi – City of Wolverhampton Council
- Cllr Roberto Weeden-Sanz – London Borough of Barnet
This year’s awards are possible thanks to the generous support of our founding sponsors CCLA, who are partnering with us for the 10th year in a row.
CCLA is a leading specialist fund manager for local authorities and charities. When they began sponsoring the Cllr Achievement Awards they had 22 local authority accounts. Today they have over 700 and this number is growing every month. They are owned by their clients – their mission is to serve the whole sector, regardless of size.
The winner in each category was chosen by our esteemed judging panel, comprised of senior councillors and officers as well as external stakeholders, and the winners were announced at the awards event on 5th November.
Nominations are now closed for 2019; winners were announced on Tuesday 5th November.