This is a paid internship of £8.50 per hour. Closing date is 14 September 2011.
LGiU is an award winning think-tank. Our mission is to strengthen local democracy to put citizens in control of their own lives, communities and local services. We work with local councils and other public services providers, along with a wider network of public, private and third sector organisations.
Annually, LGiU hosts the C’llr Achievement Awards – the only awards in the country for councillors that acknowledges their hard work and commitment to communities. More details about the awards can be found at: www.lgiu.org/cllrawards.
We are looking for an intern to work 2 days a week who wants to gain experience in press and PR in a public policy setting, to support the press and PR for the C’llr Awards. This is a four month project that will run from mid-October 2011 to mid-February 2012 and will be based at the LGiU offices in London.
Responsibilities for this role will include:
- Managing correspondence between LGiU and nominees
- Creating and managing a database of entries
- Managing media for the awards; contacting local newspapers, trade press, council communications departments and other interested parties to promote the awards and gain publicity
- General day-to-day administration, for example photocopying and answering phones
Person Specification: ideally, the successful candidate will have the following skills:
- A demonstrable interest in current affairs and politics
- An understanding of local councils and the role of councillors
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent telephone manner
- Experience of working with the media and/or promotional activities
- Good IT and administration skills (Excel, Word)
- Excellent organisational and time management skills; with an attention to detail
- Ability to think on your feet and work with minimal supervision
- Educated to degree level or currently studying
To apply for this internship opportunity please send a copy of your CV and a 1 page covering letter outlining: why you are interested in this post; and how your experience meets the person specification to: email@example.com
If you have any questions about this role or the application process, please email:firstname.lastname@example.org