Edinburgh Council’s Leader, Cllr Adam Mcvey, is marching the issue of tourism tax all the way to Holyrood. We speak to him about what he’s learned from the process about developing a solid evidence base and reaching out to less-than-enthusiastic stakeholders.
Back in London, LGiU spoke before the CLG Select Committee this week about the future of council finances in the current uncertain context, and the importance of building a local taxation system that actually supports life-or-death services.
Plus our regular roundup of LGiU member content including briefings – on the Finnish basic income experiment and permitted development – and highlights from our Daily News emails – featuring updates from Northamptonshire, “the world’s greenest football stadium”, the effectiveness of Sure Start centres and Cornwall’s space-age ambitions.
- Listen on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/lgiu-fortnightly
- Subscribe via iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/lgiu-fortnightly/id1348770998
- Search “LGiU Fortnightly” in your podcast app
Links mentioned in the podcast:
- Briefing: The Finnish Basic Income Experiment: Preliminary Results
- Briefing: Fleshwounds from a silver bullet? Counting the cost of the unforeseen consequences of permitted development
- Briefing: IFS: Taking Control: Which Taxes Could be Devolved to Local Government?
- LGiU at the CLG Select Committee Evidence Session (Local Government Finance Inquiry)
- LGiU project: Exploring life chances for children: serial podcast
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with stories you’d like to feature in the podcast.
LGiU Fortnightly is LGiU’s in-house podcast, bringing you the latest news from the world of local government. We update you on the key events from the past fortnight, as well as news from us and our members, so you’re always in the loop. We’re always looking for more ways to bring you the information you need in a way that works around your busy schedule – let us know what you think by tweeting us @LGiU.