We live in changing political times and many observe a decline in trust in politics. Meanwhile there is now an unprecedented collection of personal data by public and private organisations. What does it mean to be transparent in the public sector in this context? We speak to Dr Ben Worthy of Birkbeck University on his research on the impact of FOI in local government and the importance of narrative when publishing data.
We also report from the first Homelessness Commission meeting on the use of data in tackling homelessness, our recent briefing on artificial intelligence in councils and thoughts from our visit to Brent Council’s Question Time event.
Plus our regular roundup of news from the past two weeks including the DWP sickness benefit scandal and Universal Credit rollout.
- Listen on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/lgiu-fortnightly
- Subscribe via iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/lgiu-fortnightly/id1348770998
- Search “LGiU Fortnightly” in your podcast app
Links mentioned in the podcast:
- Report: Local partnership working for a vibrant night time economy
- Briefing: Artificial intelligence in local government – opportunities and challenges
- Briefing: Housing and planning round-up October 2018
- Briefing: Children and young people’s mental health provision –government response
- LGiU & CCLA’s C’llr Achievement Awards 2018
- Local Government Homelessness Commission