What does 2019 hold for local government? Is this the year councils finally get the clarity they desperately need on social care and funding? Although Whitehall is distracted by Brexit, there are some glimmers of hope that other policies are still on the agenda – including the NHS 10 year plan and the Waste Strategy. And we muse on the opportunity afforded by the lack of attention on local government for grassroots place-based thinking.
We also bring you a roundup of the highlights from our member-only Daily News emails and policy briefing service, including targeted public health campaigns, the new Immigration White Paper, the details of the Air Quality Strategy and the drastic decline in library spending.
Plus the best of local news in And Finally, featuring knock-off sushi from a living room ‘restaurant’ and an unpleasant pheasant terrorising the community.
- Listen on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/lgiu-fortnightly
- Subscribe via iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/lgiu-fortnightly/id1348770998
- Search “LGiU Fortnightly” in your podcast app
Links mentioned in the podcast:
- BRIEFING: Europe’s Underground Waste Management Systems: are they the way forward for local government?
- BRIEFING: The NHS Long Term Plan – how this relates to local government
- BRIEFING: The immigration white paper
- BLOG: Listen in to local government
- Email [email protected] with stories you’d like to feature in the podcast this year
LGiU Fortnightly is our new podcast, bringing you the latest news from the world of local government. We update you on the key events from the past fortnight, as well as news from us and our members, so you’re always in the loop. We’re always looking for more ways to bring you the information you need in a way that works around your busy schedule – let us know what you think by tweeting us @LGiU.