We believe that we can all learn from each other and celebrate great examples of achievement and leadership from locally elected representatives around the world. To complement our Cllr Awards in England, Scotland and Wales we want to highlight the great work of elected leaders in local government near and far.
This showcase is for councillors outside of Great Britain only. Please only submit a councillor for this showcase if they are an elected member outside of England, Wales or Scotland. Please nominate a councillor here if they are inside of England, Scotland or Wales.
An inspiring showcase of local leadership
At LGIU, our work focuses on sharing innovation and information that supports sustainable, successful communities around the globe to inspire innovation and effective implementation. That is why we’re asking you to recommend councillors or elected representatives to local government from outside of Great Britain for our Global Local Cllr Showcase.
This showcase will be celebrated as part of the LGIU & CCLA Cllr Awards where we have been celebrating the vital work of individual councillors working across England and Wales since 2010 and across Scotland since 2018. With a focus on shared challenges, we’re looking for locally elected representatives who are working with their communities to build better, more sustainable places, we will be showcasing the most innovative local responses to pressing global issues throughout the awards.
The Global Local Showcase will include representatives who have worked tirelessly over the last year to use their position within their local government to bring residents’ voices into decision-making, support their projects and ideas, and bridge diverse opinions within the community. From public health, environmental challenges, supporting people into work, revitalising neighbourhoods or any of the many ways that councillors deliver for their communities, we are looking for stories of change and impact.
The Global Local Cllr Showcase will be featured at the 2022 Cllr Awards ceremonies taking place in October. And their stories will be shared in our Global Local bulletin throughout the following year.
We recommend you read the guidelines (below) before submitting to the Global Local Cllr Showcase.
Councillors selected for the showcase will be currently serving in a country outside of England, Wales or Scotland. They will demonstrate some or all of these through their work in the past year:
- innovative thinking to tackle seemingly intractable problems;
- re-framing global issues to deliver local action;
- the ability to understand different views of communities within their area and that they effectively facilitate discussion and representation of these views to the council;
- they have championed a cause (or several) on behalf of the community using council mechanisms or structures, leading to positive change for the local area;
- they have brought together partners, stakeholders and the local people to create constructive, impactful dialogue
- strong relationships with community activists and community groups that have led to tangible positive changes.
Successful submissions should:
- focus on how the councillor has used council structures to bring about a positive change in the community;
- provide clear examples of work or projects they have carried out in their role as a councillor
How to submit
To suggest a councillor or put yourself forward, please use the form below to briefly describe what’s been achieved and outline why the councillor involved deserves to have their work reach a wider audience and inspire others.
For further details, please email Simone.Short@lgiu.org.