Training you need where you need it
LGiU offers an extensive range of in-house training at councils in the UK and Ireland
LGiU offers an extensive programme of in-house training for councillors and officers. We can deliver courses for one local authority or a small number of neighbouring councils.
Provide your members and officers with a cost-effective, tailored solution for building skills, knowledge and personal effectiveness.
LGiU member organisations enjoy a discount, too.
All our trainers – LGiU staff and associates, are very experienced at delivering learning and development events to local government. Many come from a local government background as either councillors or officers.
Most of our programmes can be delivered as full day sessions, shortened to between two to three hours for an evening session, or can be combined to deliver a more bespoke training package.
To discuss your council’s particular requirements please contact the LGiU’s Learning and Development Co-ordinator: Barry O’Brien: firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 7748 116357.
Download our course catalogue: LGiU learning and development training (PDF document) this link will need fixing!!!
Our most popular programmes are listed below, but speak to us about your specific training needs.
Skills for effective councillors
Councillors have specific personal development needs to help them make the most of their representative role.
- Community leadership skills for councillors
- Personal resilience for elected members
- Personal safety for councillors
- Chairing Skills
- Making a Difference – doing it your way: For new Councillors
- Working with Officers
We can also work with you to provide a tailored package of support to new councillors after an election.
Effective working for officers and members
- Mentoring skills
- Reading for speed and retention
- Time management and coping strategies
- Practical project management
- Understanding strategic thinking
- Local Government and Human Rights: A practical introduction
- Safeguarding: A human rights approach to protecting adults
- Giving effective speeches and presentations
Developing political awareness & sensitivity for Officers
Local government finance
Get to grips with local government finance. Our introductory courses are ideal for those without a finance background.
- Introduction to local government finance
- Developing commercial awareness in your council
- Reviewing ‘the big three’ financial reports effectively
- Commissioning, procurement and contract management.
Communications and media
- Working effectively with your council ‘Comms’ team
- Using Social Media effectively for local government
- Engaging with Local and National Media
- Confident public speaking
- Personal effectiveness, interpersonal communication and behaviour
- Handling difficult conversations
- Community Leadership for Councillors in a time of change
- Understanding Communities through Participatory Appraisal
- Practical skills for community engagement
- Using Neighbourhood Agreements to build strong and active communities at a time of
- Working and Supporting Volunteers and Community Champions
Overview & Scrutiny
Effective overview and scrutiny takes skill and procedural knowledge.
- An introduction to overview and scrutiny
- Being an effective ‘critical friend’ – the importance of questioning skills
- Effective work programming – how to add value through overview and scrutiny
- Sharpening up the practice of overview and scrutiny
- Commissioning, Procurement and Contract Management: How overview and scrutiny can