An extensive range of in-house training for local government
For more than 30 years LGIU has been responding to the training needs of local government. This past year our seminars and courses moved online and the range of topics and attendance has grown.
Very often, local authorities come to us because they need bespoke in-house training for a number of their councillors or officers. This year has been no different in that respect, although of course all the training is delivered online.
LGIU has an extensive in-house training programme. Our most popular programmes are listed below. You can mix and match all the elements and modules can be further tailored around your council’s specific needs.
Get in touch to discuss any aspect of our in-house training and how we can meet your requirements. Contact the LGIU’s Learning and Development Co-ordinator: Barry O’Brien: email@example.com or +44 7748 116357.
Skills for effective councillors
This programme has been developed for councillors who want to develop advanced interpersonal skills to help them achieve more positive outcomes when working with people. Each module can be delivered separately or combined into a complete learning programme.
- Advanced communication skills
- The persuasive councillor
- Conflict resolution and mediation
We can also work with you to provide a tailored package of training for new councillors after an election.
Our extensive selection of courses can be combined as you need to assist with skills development for councillors and officers and include:
- Chairing skills for virtual meetings
- Advanced chairing: managing participation at meetings
- Participating in virtual meetings
- Report writing
- Minuting virtual meetings
- Memory skills and mind mapping
- Speed reading and retention
- Time management
- Supporting committee chairs
- Reviewing committee reports
Local government finance
Our finance training is designed to provide elected councillors with a thorough grounding in the key elements of local government finance and funding. We break it down into four modules which be booked individually or as a complete programme and can be tailored to reflect your council’s circumstances.
- Local government finance basics
- Understanding your council’s annual financial statements
- Understanding your council’s MTFS, annual budget and budget monitoring reports
- Financial planning and budgeting in the light of Covid-19
Local authorities evolve and change in terms of structure, culture and services and Covid is having an impact on the speed and direction of this change. Our courses include:
- Beyond Coronavirus – a new type of culture for a new type of authority and the role of organisational development
- Understanding strategic thinking
- Developing a commercially aware organisational culture
- Managing home working: achieving the balance between wellbeing and performance
- Recruiting effectively online
- Practical project management
- Presenting with impact online
Personal safety and wellbeing
Learning in this area includes:
- Personal safety for councillors
- Managing conflict
- An introduction to transactional analysis
- An introduction to mental health
- Developing personal assertiveness
- Building confidence
- Setting and maintaining professional boundaries
- Developing political awareness and sensitivity: the key to working effectively with members
- Working effectively with officers (for elected members)
Overview and scrutiny
Overview and scrutiny is an important part of a councillor’s role but to do it effectively takes skill and procedural knowledge. Our training includes:
- An introduction to overview and scrutiny
- Questioning skills for scrutiny
The pandemic has had the effect of making social media an ever increasing presence and a vital channel for communication with communities. Our training includes:
- Introduction to using social media effectively
- Planning and managing social media
- Using images and video effectively
For the past year we have delivered all of our in-house sessions online and this will continue for the foreseeable future. We have given a lot of thought to the adaptation of our traditional training for the online environment and this is reflected in the positive feedback we have received from delegates attending training in 2020:
“One of the best training sessions of lockdown”
“Thank you to all for making it a memorable programme.”
We can supply tailored courses for one local authority or a small number of neighbouring councils in one go. Our training means you can provide your members and officers with cost-effective, bespoke solutions for building skills, knowledge and personal effectiveness. And LGIU member organisations enjoy a discount, too.
All our trainers – LGiU staff and associates – are very experienced at developing and delivering training and courses for local government audiences; many also come from a local government background as councillors or officers.