This is an essential programme for Councillors who are looking for ways to improve their personal safety.
Designed to sit within any Council’s Lone Working and Personal Safety policies, the session is based on sensible advice and established good practice. Much of this has its origins within Police advice and guidance from the Suzy Lamplugh Trust.
By the end of this programme delegates will be able to:
- Identify the key issues Councillors can face when carrying out their role
- Carry out formal risk assessments
- Implement sensible safety precautions
- Identify the importance of gut feel and instinct
- Explain the steps to be taken to address cyber-bullies and trolls
- Use internal reporting procedures.
10.15 am Coffee and registration
10.30 am Welcome
- Objectives – personal and programme
10.45 am The Context
- What is happening around us?
- What situations are we exposed to as Councillors?
11.15 am Risk Assessment
- An Introduction to Risk Assessment
- Importance of risk assessing different activities
- Practical exercise and review
12.00 noon Personal Safety and Early Choices
- Good practice guide to working safely including:
- Using public transport
- Meeting people in their homes
- Having visitors to our home
- Walking, cycling and driving tips
1.00 pm Lunch
1.30 pm Technology
- Use of mobile ‘phones and apps
- Cyber Bullies and Trolling
2.15 pm Harassment and Stalking
- Definition and legal protection
- Steps to take
2.45 pm Taking Action
- Importance of incident reporting
- Coping with the aftermath of an incident
3.15 pm Key points from the session
3.30 pm Close.