This online workshop is ideal for managers or specialists who have a strategic role or who are looking to develop a better understanding and skills in the area of longer-term planning and strategy. Essentially this is about effective change management and creating a coherent vision of the future at the team, function and organisational level.
Strategy or being ‘strategic’ can by its very nature seem quite a vague concept in organisations although a term that is frequently used. The training is designed to cut through that mist and provide a clear understanding and the tools to think strategically but also to influence and implement strategy. The workshop will particularly focus on the challenges of creative strategic thinking in a politically led and fast-changing organisation. This is about thinking strategically rather than strategic planning!
- A clear understanding of what strategic thinking means in your organisations and how it is used.
- Understanding the role of strategic thinking in the overall process of strategic management
- Developing strategies to work with a more strategic mindset and to influence the organisation to think and operate more strategically
- A chance to consider the use of specific strategic thinking ‘tools’
- It is important to attend both sessions to get the most benefit
Part 1 (10:00-12:00)
What is strategic thinking and why is it so important
- Welcome and introduction
- Coming to terms with the ambiguity of strategic thinking;
- What it can mean in practice
- The difference between strategic thinking and strategic planning
- Strategic approaches used in your organisation and barriers
- Learning as an organisation
Part 2 (13:00-15:00)
How can I develop strategic thinking capacity?
- The competencies of a strategic thinker
- Creative v critical thinking
- A strategic approach to change – tools and techniques
- The systems thinking approach
- An inclusive approach and cultural change