So, you have some of the basics of being a councillor under your belt. You know how to resolve a piece of casework and you understand your council’s decision-making processes. What now? How do you start to tackle some of the big issues that you got elected to fix?
- Maybe you are ambitious and want to demonstrate the leadership skills needed for your next step?
- Maybe you’ve just become a lead member and need to take that step-change from ward focus to council champion?
- Or just know that you ‘may’ only have 4 years and really want to resolve the burning issue for your residents?
Very few issues can be solved by just you alone. These two 2.5-hour interactive online sessions will look at Leadership of Place and relationship building in solving issues.
You will be asked in advance to think of one burning issue in your ward or role that you want to address. The course will give you tools that you can practically use on this real issue you face. Putting theory into practice.
Session 1: Leadership of Place
Tuesday, 28 June 2022: 10:00-12:30
- What do we mean by “Leadership of Place”?
- How to deepen your understanding of ‘your place’
- How to identify the key people you need
- Thinking specifically about your issue
- Collecting relevant information
- Finding your key people.
Between sessions, participants will be asked to map out partners and stakeholders in their burning issue.
Session 2: Relationship Building
Friday, 8 July 2022: 10:00-12:30
- Review of partnership map
- Understanding who can help and who will get in the way
- How to influence key people
- Officer/member relationships
- Behavioural change
- Defining success.