So, you have some of the basics of being a councillor under your belt. You know how to resolve a piece of casework and you understand your council’s decision-making processes. What now? How do you start to tackle some of the big issues that you got elected to fix?
- Maybe you are ambitious and want to demonstrate the leadership skills needed for your next step?
- Maybe you’ve just become a lead member and need to take that step-change from ward focus to council champion?
- Or just know that you ‘may’ only have 4 years and really want to resolve the burning issue for your residents?
Very few issues can be solved by just you alone. These two 2-hour interactive online sessions will look at Leadership of Place and relationship building in solving issues.
You will be asked in advance to think of one burning issue in your ward or role that you want to address. The course will give you tools that you can practically use on this real issue you face. Putting theory into practice.
Session 1: Leadership of Place
Tuesday, 19 October 2021: 18:30-20:30
- What is Leadership of Place?
- Who are your partners?
- What do we mean by stakeholders?
- Thinking about your issue
- What do you know now and what do you need to know?
- Who do you need to help resolve the issue?
- Mapping out stakeholders on your issue.
Between sessions, participants will be asked to map out partners and stakeholders in their burning issue.
Session 2: Relationship Building
Tuesday, 2 November 2021: 18:30-20:30
- Review of partnership map
- Understanding who can help and who will get in the way
- Sphere of influence
- Behavioural change
- Defining success.
Optional extra: 3 one-to-one coaching sessions after the 2 workshops to go more in-depth on the individual issues.