This is an essential course for Members who need to be able to read and summarise information from written text faster and more effectively. The seminar focuses on the different types of reading styles and encourages better retention of written material through the use of specific techniques.
By the end of this programme delegates will be able to:
- Explain the principles of speed reading
- Understand the barriers to reading and adopt different reading styles
- Co-ordinate eye movements better to minimise any poor reading habits
- Improve retention of information using specific techniques.
The session focuses on how our brain absorbs and process information, including the relationship between eye and brain. The session also explains different types of reading styles and how to learn new, positive reading habits.
Welcome! (10 mins)
- Course overview and objectives
- Personal introductions and objectives
What is Speed Reading? (10 mins)
- History and background
- Key concepts – reading and assimilation
Introduction to Different Reading Styles (30 mins)
- Careful Reading
Speed Reading (30 Mins)
- Eye/brain relationship
- Visual gap speed
- Minimising barriers to fast reading
Reading for Retention (25 mins)
- S-Q-R-W Technique
- Active reading
- Mindmapping for retention
Where am I now? (15 mins)
- Repeat of reading speed test
- Key learning points
- Evaluation and close.