This two-hour session has been developed for officers and members who are keen to establish boundaries in the way they work with colleagues and constituents.
Based on the principles of setting and maintaining boundaries, the programme explores how to identify situations where boundaries are needed with the aim of setting limits on the relationship.
By the end of the session, delegates will be able to:
- Explain what boundaries are, and why they are important
- Set boundaries
- Spot early warning signs which indicate boundary violations
- Avoid overstepping boundaries by exceeding their role
- Action boundary violations.
Full copies of handouts and slides will be provided to all delegates.
Welcome and Introductions (10 mins)
- Session outline
- Personal aims
An Introduction to Professional Boundaries (20 mins)
- What are professional boundaries?
- Why are boundaries important to us – and to others?
- Situations where boundaries are needed
Setting Boundaries and Limits (25 mins)
- Limits and expectations
- Identifying roles and responsibilities
Warning Signs of Erosion (25 mins)
- Understanding boundary erosion
- Early warning signs
- Managing erosion
Boundary Crossings and Transgressions (30 mins)
- Explanation of crossings and transgressions
- Case studies and discussion
- Taking action
Programme Review (10 mins)
- Key learning points
- Evaluation and close.