This three and a half hour course has been developed for Councillors and Officers who would benefit from some advice and guidance on how to plan, structure and write reports.
The aim of the session is for delegates to develop confidence and skills in their writing skills and to make the whole process easier and quicker.
Some Officers may write Committee reports and these will be mentioned during the session, so all of the information will be cross-referenceable.
By the end of the session, delegates will be able to:
- Scope a report based on its objective and intended reader
- Write a structured report
- Write grammatically correct and well-punctuated text
- Review and edit their work.
The programme is highly participative and involves delegates in a wide range of activities.
Full workbooks are supplied. and these will be circulated prior to the event.
- Session Overview
- Programme and personal aims
9:40 Getting Started
- What makes a good report?
- Scoping the report
- P-O-W-E-R Writing
10:00 Report Structures
- Classic business report structure
- Committee report templates
- What goes where?
- Writing Findings, Conclusions and Recommendations
10.50 REFRESHMENT BREAK
11:00 Report Writing Skills
- Clear English and language
- Grammar and sentence structure
- Writing in the third person
- The Fog Index
12:20 Pulling it all Together
- Reviewing, editing and proofing
12:40 Questions and Answer Session
12:50 Session Summary
- Key learning points
- Delegate highlights and most useful tips