Two online workshops relevant for senior managers and officers who want to develop their inclusive leadership practice and / or work in the area of equalities, as well as elected members who want to re-examine equality and diversity policies within their local authority and their leadership role within and outside the council.
Being inclusive leaders means making equality and diversity part of everyday work.
2022 requires a recommitment from leaders and managers to make a significant shift in stepping up to practice inclusive leadership. Inclusive leaders invest time and effort in learning purposefully, on becoming self-aware of their place in the system, and embrace the challenge of complex and contentious adaptive problems such as tackling discrimination, inequality and disadvantage created in and by the systems they lead. They also recognise that they have to work in collaboration with others to create and sustain change in organisations, systems and practices. This is about new ways of working with people in the organisation and in the community to energise and support leaders who want to lead with equality and inclusion as core to their leadership practice. This is about leveraging diversity to transform organisational systems and practices.
Workshop 1: Introduction to equality, diversity and inclusion
Tuesday, 1 November 2022 (10:00-13:00)
In this introductory workshop we will:
- engage members and officers in building a common understanding of the legislative backdrop to equalities – limitations and opportunities
- explore how to create ambition beyond compliance through inclusive leadership
- assess current approaches to equality, diversity and inclusion and see anti-discrimination work as adaptive leadership work
- learn about the Thobani 6C equality and inclusive leadership model – defining the work of leadership at all levels
- develop your leadership role to make a difference
Workshop 2: Equality and inclusive leadership
Tuesday, 15 November 2022 (10:00-13:00)
In our second session we will:
- reflect on the Thobani 6 C model & audit tool applied to your personal and organisational role
- build your competencies and confidence in your equality and inclusive leadership practice
- consider the challenges in doing this work and strategies to overcome them
- review your skills and development needs to build your equality and inclusive leadership practice