Whilst the relationship between Elected Members and Officers has always been important for Local Government this is particularly the case when the organisation faces changes brought about by COVID 19 as well as financial pressures and the need make tough decisions about priorities. It may also be the case that collectively Members and Officers are working together to achieve significant organisational change. In addition, it can be a challenge for new staff coming into the organisation to grasp the importance and efficacy of political leadership. This workshop is a chance for those new to working in a Political environment with members to understand the respective roles and the skills needed. It is also a chance for more experienced officers to reflect on their experiences and add to their toolkit of approaches and skills.
- Welcome and Introduction – Clarifying workshop and individual goals
- Understanding the roles of Officers and Members and the challenges the relationship can create.
- Sharing experiences and approaches
- Introducing the two components for working effectively with Members
- Building a foundation of awareness – How knowledgeable are you about your Councils members
- Mutual empathy and understanding – Putting yourself in the members shoes
- Influencing with integrity, building strong and effective relationships with Members
- What kind of officer are you? – Identifying unhelpful strategies
- Personal and organisational actions
This session will use the Zoom platform.