Complying with Data protection requirements is a major challenge for councillors. Failure to meet the legal requirements can open councillors up to the legal challenge or a complaint under a Councils Standards scheme.
The ‘Councillors and Data Protection course’ takes participants through the legal framework. It highlights the importance of key issues such as consent to share data. It covers the Data Protection principles. It covers Freedom of Information and the importance of keeping data safe and secure.
It highlights that data requirements and access are different for the different roles councillors take on.
The training covers case studies that highlight the challenges and tricky issues councillors can face.
- That councillors will be clear on the legal requirements placed on them as councillors.
- How the legal requirements vary depending on roles undertaken, covering the position of Cabinet members, quasi-judicial roles, external roles and committee roles.
- That councillors become fully aware of the data protection and Freedom of information challenges arising from casework.
- That councillors are fully aware of the requirement around data management including security and storage and sharing of data.
- That councillors are clear about key issues such as consent to hold or share data.
- Through the case studies understand how difficult some data protection issues are requiring firm consideration.
- That the breadth of the data protection challenge includes, records, emails, WhatsApp and reports.