This two-hour session has been developed for officers and members who want to develop their knowledge and understanding of communication. Built around the Parent – Adult – Child model, this is a useful programme for those who manage tricky conversations with colleagues and members of the public.
By the end of the session, delegates will be able to:
- Explain the principles of Transactional Analysis
- Identify Parent – Adult – Child behaviours
- Use straight transactions to build rapport and maintain position
- Identify crossed and hidden transactions.
This is a very practical programme which will teach delegates new strategies for approaching communications.
Delegates will be asked to complete a communication style questionnaire during the session.
Welcome and Introductions (10 mins)
- Session outline
- Personal aims
An Introduction to Transactional Analysis (TA) (10 mins)
- History and evolution
- Key principles of TA
Questionnaire – Communication Style (10 mins)
P – A – C (30 mins)
- Explanation of Parent – Adult – Child ego states
- Review of questionnaire
Transaction Styles (30 mins)
- Understanding crossed and complimentary transactions
- Avoiding being hooked into hidden transactions
TA in Practise (20 mins)
- Tips and techniques for using TA to improve relationships
Programme Review (10 mins)
- Key learning points
- Evaluation and close.