The workshop is intended to provide a comprehensive understanding of approaches to problem-solving and some of the techniques that can be applied. It is aimed at all those involved in identifying and addressing complex problems and decisions and is an interactive workshop with plenty of opportunities to discuss the practical application of the tools in Local Government and related organisations.
Learning Content & Outcomes:
- Clarifying the problem – The 5 ‘whys’ and the use of Affinity diagrams
- ‘Chunking up’ to the real problem
- The Fishbone cause and effect diagram
- Understand the difference between ‘tame’ and ‘wicked’ problems – The role of creativity
- Process mapping to identify issues
- Applying a process (the Simplex and DMAIC approach)
- Testing solutions – Systems Thinking, De Bono’s Six Thinking Hats and Hypothesis Trees.