This two-hour session has been developed for Chairs, who want to develop their knowledge and skills around the people side of meetings.
Set in the virtual world, the programme covers a range of topics focussed on techniques which can encourage participation. The course also features ideas on how to manage over-participation, together with some input around team dynamics.
The workshop complements the LGIU’s “Chairing Virtual Meetings” programme.
By the end of the session, delegates will be able to:
- Create an environment which encourages participation
- Use techniques to encourage quieter meeting members to input into discussions
- Interrupt over-talkative participants
- Set and use ground-rules
- Manage conflict confidently.
Welcome and Introductions (10 mins)
- Session outline
- Personal aims
Skills of being a People-centric Chairperson (15 mins)
- The soft skills needed to be an effective Chair
- Creating an environment where people can contribute
Group Dynamics (15 mins)
- How teams form and develop
- Personalities at a meeting
Facilitation Skills (70 mins)
- Techniques to encourage participation
- Managing over-talkative participants
- Setting and using ground-rules
- Managing heat and conflict including setting the scene for heated debates
Programme Review (10 mins)
- Key learning points
- Evaluation and close.