Local government has had to respond rapidly to a harsh financial settlement and front-loaded cuts in budgets. Now that new budgets are in place, what are the strategies that councils can use to reduce costs while maintaining service levels and protecting the core of their organisations and their reputations.
This seminar offers delegates:
- The four key principles of successful service redesign.
- Case studies demonstrating the benefits of adopting systems thinking and business process improvement approaches to build organisational capacity.
- Understanding of the issues around ‘managing failure’.
- How to improve services through taking into account the views of service users.
- Understanding of budget and demand planning through activity based costing and process mapping.
- The main factors to improve a council’s reputation.
- The six proven key success factors which affect the delivery of transformation.
This workshop uses tools and techniques developed as part of the National Process Improvement Project (NPIP) to offer practical guidance on how to make savings while maintaining or improving corporate and frontline services. All of the examples used are based on real savings made by real councils using standard practices. Anyone involved in transforming services or responsible for having to achieve budget savings, should not miss the opportunity to discover what has been proven in practice. There will be plenty of opportunity for participants to contribute ideas and opinions and to share their experiences.
11:00 Welcome and introduction
11:10 Session one: overview – An introduction to service transformation and its relevance to delivering efficiencies and transforming services
11:45 Session two: best practice – Case studies on the practical steps councils have taken in reducing cost and improving service delivery
12:30 Session three: the ingredients for success – Which factors affect success and how you can influence them
13:45 Session four: applying the learning (workshop) – Ideas to take back to your local authority to build capacity and improve local services
14:45 Feedback and final comments
(This programme is correct at time of publication, but programme content may be altered without notice to reflect speaker changes which are beyond our control.)