This course is part of the LGIU Build your own curriculum programme. Buy 2 courses in the programme and get the third for free (plus earn an LGIU certificate of completion). Purchase your 3-pack here.
If you are a new or recently elected councillor, keeping on top of casework can be demanding, and it is important to achieve a balance between your councillor role and your home life.
This workshop will provide practical tips and techniques that will enable you to keep on top of your casework – whilst at the same encouraging you to step back and set sensible boundaries. It will also look at personal resilience maintaining a sense of well-being and being mentally strong.
- Explain the importance of efficient management of casework
- Put into place a process for taking on a new case
- Gather information to build an accurate picture of a situation
- Identify your responsibilities under GDPR, Freedom of Information Act, Subject Access Requests and Safeguarding
- Manage the people side of casework
- Understand the circumstances that undermine resilience
- Learn about stressors and how they can affect well-being
- Identify some of the main issues in achieving personal balance and develop personal boundaries to ensure that Councillor work is contained.
Who should attend
Councillors who want to go beyond the basics, with a burning issue they want to resolve or just learn more about how to achieve the goals for their residents. Elected members who feel the pressure of having a public profile, credibility and expectations. Plus anyone who, in general, needs to maintain high levels of energy and performance.
Your LGIU Trainer
|Miranda Smythe has 30 years of experience helping organisations (mainly local governments) identify learning gaps and develop tailored, creative strategies to address their goals. Miranda is also involved in local community development activities and provides mental health awareness sessions for many not-for-profit organisations. She is chair of a local homelessness charity and has been instrumental in developing and facilitating community leadership initiatives in Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire.
What others are saying about LGIU training
“The breakout sessions with my colleagues were especially helpful as well as the handouts on the situational leadership model.”
– Bethan, from Cardiff