This session is part of our Global Local Executive Panel series. Explore more local solutions to global challenges – FREE for LGIU members.
In the digital age, misinformation and disinformation can spread like wildfire, causing confusion, panic, and even harm. Local governments are not immune to this phenomenon, and must find ways to tackle it proactively and reactively. This panel will explore the challenges of misinformation and disinformation in the context of local government, and provide practical insights and ideas for local government professionals to tackle these issues.
This event takes place from 8:30am – 10:00am BST / 5:30pm – 7:00pm AEST via Zoom
Key areas of exploration
- The impact of misinformation and disinformation on local government and the community
- The sources and types of misinformation and disinformation
- Proactive strategies for tackling misinformation and disinformation
- Reactive strategies for managing misinformation and disinformation when it arises
- The role of community engagement and education in addressing misinformation and disinformation
- The importance of partnerships and collaboration with other organizations and levels of government
Theo Blackwell MBE, Chief Digital Officer, Mayor of London, England
Liam Conneally, Chief Executive, Galway County Council, Ireland Invited
Ken Gourlay, Chief Executive, Fife Council, Scotland Invited
Rebecca McKenzie, Chief Executive Officer, Glen Eira City Council, Australia Invited
About Global Local Executive Panels
At LGIU, we are exploring new ways of bringing our members high-level insights from councils across the world on how local government is dealing with key global issues.
The Global Local Executive Panel Series aim to bring together executive speakers from local government across the countries we work in and beyond to share solutions they’ve found to critical challenges faced worldwide. These sessions bring together senior executives from international councils to share ideas, compare approaches and explore learning opportunities.
LGIU is thrilled to gather together senior executives from Ireland, the UK and Australia to explore these timely issues!