This session is part of our Global Local Executive Panel series. Explore more local solutions to global challenges – FREE for LGIU members.
At LGIU, we are exploring new ways of bringing our members high-level insights from councils across the world on how local government is dealing with key global issues.
The Global Local Executive Panel Series aim to bring together executive speakers from local government across the countries we work in and beyond to share solutions they’ve found to critical challenges faced worldwide. These sessions bring together senior executives from international councils to share ideas, compare approaches and explore learning opportunities.
LGIU and the Victorian Local Government Association (VLGA) are thrilled to gather together senior executives from Ireland, the UK and Australia to explore how to do community engagement well!
This event takes place at 8:30am GMT / 6:30pm AEDT
Key areas of exploration
- How to link up citizens’ assemblies and the public with the institutional structure of local government
- How to productively collaborate between local governments and the public
- Avoiding common pitfalls in community engagement
- Using the results of community engagement projects in a meaningful and impactful way
- Engaging rural communities where in-person connections are even more important
- Examining power and decision-making in community engagement
Kersten England CBE, Former Chief Executive, City of Bradford Metropolitan District Council, England
Paddy Mahon, Chief Executive, Longford County Council, Ireland
Iain Walker, Executive Director, newDemocracy, Australia
Scott Waters, CEO, Moreton Bay City Council, Australia