This course is part of the LGIU Build your own curriculum programme. Take three courses in the programme and earn an LGIU certificate of completion.
Dive into community engagement and relationship building in solving issues in this interactive session. Bring along one burning issue in your ward or role that you want to address. The course will give you tools that you can practically use on this real issue you face.
- Maybe you are ambitious and want to demonstrate the leadership skills needed for your next step
- Maybe you’ve just become a lead member and need to take the step from ward focus to council champion
- Or just know that you ‘may’ only have 4 years and really want to resolve the burning issue for your residents
Very few issues can be solved by just you alone. Now that you have a few basics of being a councillor under your belt, let’s tackle some of the big challenges that you got elected to fix.
- Understand the meaning and significance of”Leadership of Place”
- Identify your key people and partnerships
- Explore the definition of success and how to build relationships to reach it
Who should attend
Councillors who want to go beyond the basics, with a burning issue they want to resolve or just learn more about how to achieve the goals for their residents. Officers who support councillors in their leadership of place role.
Your LGIU Trainer
|Liz Green has been a London borough councillor for nearly 20 years and works as a trainer, coach and mentor for elected members. In addition to her council roles, Liz works cross-party on local government improvement and climate change best practice and is a board member of a charity providing housing to those with complex mental health problems.|
What others are saying about LGIU training
“The breakout sessions with my colleagues were especially helpful as well as the handouts on the situational leadership model.”
– Bethan, from Cardiff