This session is open exclusively to LGIU members. Not a member but interested in our climate workshop? Reach out to us to explore how we can work with your organisation!
Over three-quarters of UK local authorities now have declared a climate emergency and many councils are already delivering a range of projects which will contribute towards achieving Net Zero for their areas by or before 2050. However, local authorities still face a number of challenges in fully operationalising decarbonisation. This two-part course explores how councils can deliver a corporate approach to climate action and effectively communicate and engage with communities and stakeholders to drive behavioural change. Join us for the following modules as well as a discussion with the Local Democracy Research Centre:
Part One – Embed climate change action across your council
- Ensuring that your council has the basics in place to deliver a corporate approach to climate action, including how climate action links with other policies and strategies.
- Embedding climate action at the heart of your decision-making processes.
- Effective benchmarking and monitoring of climate action
How officers and members can drive forward climate action
Part Two – Communicate and engage on climate change action in your organisation
- Understanding why communication and engagement around local climate action is important
- Recognising the importance of values, trust and brand in climate communication and engagement
- Being aware of the different models of engagement around climate action
- Creating a compelling narrative around local climate action
- Understand how to embed climate change action across your council
- Better communicate and engage in climate change action in your organisation
- Connect with other councils that are making strides in climate action
- Feed into the Local Democracy Research Centre‘s dialogue on climate action
Who should attend
This highly interactive session will help anyone who wants to ensure that their council has the basics in place when it comes to climate action. It will also benefit those who want to take climate action cross-department in their local authority. Elected members and officers interested in implementing climate action in their local authority are a particularly good fit for this workshop.
Your LGIU Expert
|Liz Green has been a London borough councillor for over 20 years and has worked as a trainer, facilitator, coach and mentor for elected members for the past decade. Passionate about improving local government, she works with members and officers to help them to 'be their best' so they can deliver for their communities, both on the big projects like climate action or localised engagement work. Outside of council, Liz is a volunteer and chair of a local charity working with young people with social, emotional and mental health issues.|
|Malcolm Powers is a former Councillor and Cabinet Member in a Unitary Authority. He has over fifteen years experience delivering training to local government members and community campaigners. He specialises in communications at all levels and stakeholder engagement.|
What others are saying about LGIU workshops
“It was really good to hear from both other local authorities and LGIU experts. The experts were excellent in keeping things as clear & simple as possible. The session was chaired well and I very much appreciate the speed at which LGIU put this workshop in place. I took quite a lot away from it.”
– Bryn, from Aberystwyth