Even before the COVID-19 outbreak, we had been planning a workshop with the aim of exploring the role of organisational development in fundamentally changing organisational culture. Recognising the demands and challenges Local Authorities face culture change goes to the heart of any major transformation programme.
Structural change is only effective if matched by cultural change. The financial imperative and the need for a more commercially aware and astute approach is often the driver of transformation but there are other factors such as new ways of agile working and embracing technology. Cultural change can be value-driven but what does that mean in practice in terms of management style and individual behaviours. Is the organisation espousing the need for commercial thinking but at the same time putting barriers in the way?
COVID-19 means Local Authorities are dealing with major changes to the services they provide and the way in which they provide them. Homeworking where possible means organisations are having to work hard to keep a sense of ‘team’ and maintain the progress towards strategic goals. As we start thinking about the recovery phase there will be an opportunity to fundamentally rethink the way things are done and consider radical change. There will need to be an emphasis on strategic thinking and not just strategic planning.
These 2, 2-hour online workshops are an interactive opportunity to develop your awareness and understanding of the organisational implications of change and the way in which Organisational Development can be used to challenge and shift the culture to where it needs to be. It’s a chance to share experiences and opportunities and stimulate ideas and possibilities.
- A clear understanding of the need for strategic thinking
- Clarifying what organisational culture is and why it is so important
- Identifying the drivers of cultural change including the impact of COVID-19 on the way Local Authorities operate.
- A toolkit of Organisational Development interventions
- A clarity about the type of culture needed for a transformed organisation
Workshop 1 (27 May 2021 – 10:00-12:00)
- Welcome and Introduction – Clarifying workshop and individual goals
- The importance of strategic thinking in organisational change
- Where is your organisation now? How would the culture be described?
- What is organisational culture? – Developing a shared understanding
- The organisational challenges and opportunities and therefore culture change or shifts required in Local Authorities.
- The importance of clear organisational purpose, clarity of goals and values that are aligned and shared
- Creating a culture that encourages rather than blocks and stifles, what are the barriers?
- Where do you want to be – Your organisation’s cultural vision.
Workshop 2 (3 June 2021 – 10:00-12:00)
- Organisational Development – a coordinated approach
- Developing bold leadership and proactive support services
- The importance of the next three months in shaping future culture
- Sharing personal actions and next steps.