Get a 30% discount off this seminar if you book onto Being Effective Councillor Series seminars on Personal Resilience (4 October) & Influencing skills (27 October). Select discount rate when booking online. Offer ends 4 October.
For all of us life can sometimes demand courage and present challenges when faced with difficult decisions and changing circumstances.
Elected Members carry additional demands as they play a critical leadership role in leading others through testing and changing times. This means that there are occasions when having difficult conversations and giving bad news are unavoidable. Whether in a one-to-one situation or organisational wide, being the bearer of such news is when a leader’s ability and character is truly tested. Therefore, this seminar programme will heighten awareness of personal resilience and enhance approach and skills in meeting the needs of communities, organisations and individuals when having difficult conversations and delivering bad news.
This will be an interactive session with plenty of opportunity for discussion, exploring and swapping ideas, obtaining advice and sharing the experiences of each other.
Participants will learn:
- Effectively prepare to have difficult conversations and deliver bad news
- Recognise the best ways to communicate with people
- Identify the knowledge, skills and approach to deliver bad news professionally
- Cope with the response to difficult conversations and bad news
- Work towards positive outcomes for all parties and move forward
9.30 Registration. Refreshments upon arrival
- Being prepared
- Understanding what makes people tick
- Psychological factors
Morning Break (20 minutes)
11.50 Good practice
- Exploring communication skills and approach
13.00 Lunch (45 minutes)
13.45 Handling reactions
- Providing explanations – robust decision making
- Identifying and eliminating cognitive bias
- Moving forward