This online session is aimed at elected members who are new to overview and scrutiny and need to find their feet as soon as possible. This introductory session explores the role of overview and scrutiny within an authority, how to get the best results from its work and the key skills and approaches for doing so.
Outcomes from attending are:
- Better understanding of the role of, principles behind and value of scrutiny
- Learning from good practice of other councils
- Development of skills for scrutiny
- Opportunity to explore options for the development of scrutiny in the council.
- Reflections on the experience of scrutiny
- Refresh on principles, roles and value of scrutiny
- Interactive activity focusing on:
- priorities for scrutiny
- team building for scrutiny
- ways of working in scrutiny
- work programming
- project scoping
- evidence gathering
- Key learning points and action planning.