An introduction to local government finance
This online training gives councillors and officers a thorough grounding in the key elements of local government finance and funding.
The course looked at:
- Overall national legal and policy framework affecting council finance and budgets.
- Key concepts and terminology, such as capital and revenue, general fund and the Housing Revenue Account (HRA), reserves and balances.
- Understanding how local councils receive their funding.
Course materials and outline
Slides LGIU Intro to LG Finance ENG 2023-24
Written by Ian Fifield, this guide for councillors is also useful reference guide for officers wanting to understand local government finance.
LGA – Councillor work – finance for non-finance portfolio holders/cabinet members
More online learning from LGIU
Want to learn more about local government finance? Register on our next two sessions that look at:
Our finance training is part of our Build your own curriculum, which includes training on:
- communication essentials
- local government finance
- being an effective councillor
- being an effective manager
Pick and mix any three courses from our build-your-own curriculum and get an LGIU certificate.
If this training was helpful, dive into all of our most-popular trainings for councillors and staff.
Did you know that we can tailor a training session just for your organisation? Check out our in-house training programme for the customisable courses we can bring your team or elected members.
Sign-up to the LGIU
to find out more on local government within the UK and around the world.