LGIU (Local Government Information Unit) is the largest independent local authority membership organisation in the country. We provide unrivalled practical support to our member councils and an uncompromising advocacy for local government and services that are designed and delivered in the communities that need them.
In addition to councils our members include trade unions, public sector partners, charities, academic institutions, private sector organisations and others. We work for and with our members responding to their priorities with briefings, Daily News, research, learning and development and more.
As the only truly independent local government body we are an influential voice for the sector in the media and on the national stage. Unhampered by political allegiance or factions our only agenda is local communities, local services, local government.
LGIU England & Wales membership
If you are a councillor or employee and an LGIU member council or other organisation then you too are a member and can access our services. Your LGIU includes:
- LGIU England & Wales briefings: more than 200 briefings a year bringing clarity and focus to complex policy areas and access on the website to all the briefings from the rest of the LGIU family.
- LGIU England & Wales Daily News: a professional round up of the main local government news stories in the national and regional press, mailed to you inbox at 6am every morning, 7 days a week.
- Learning and development: LGIU England & Wales members receive a discount on our extensive programme of seminars and tailored inhouse training sessions.
- Member driven research and analysis: our indepth policy work shines a light on the realities of local government and pushes for the solutions that our members want to see.
- Expert advice a phone call away: we are an extension of your policy team with over 30 experts on call.
- Networking opportunities: members have the opportunity to take part in any or all of our commissions, networks, member-only policy discussions and events and receive priority invitations to other forums, including Local Government APPG sessions, Parliamentary receptions and the annual Cllr Achievement Awards ceremony.
- An independent voice making the case for local government: when we speak our only agenda is local communities, local services, local government.
How to contact us
Our address: Third Floor,251 Pentonville Road, London N1 9NG
Phone: 020 7554 2800